Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A view from the cheap seats . . .

A few random thoughts for today . . .

First off, congratulations to new Prime Minister Steven Harper and the Conservative Party. Congratulations to the Canadian people for seeing a need for change. Here's to hoping that we all give Mr. Harper a chance to prove he's for real and turn this country around. Here's to also hoping that it takes about 60 years for the Liberals to elect a new leader so that I never have to live through another awful election.

Is it just me or are Jack Layton and Olivia Chow (is it Olivia?) not the cheesiest couple you've ever seen? I'm sure that Maintenance staff in the Parliament building are going to love having to install the new joined toilet seat for couples so that the Layton's can spend every waking moment together. There's nothing like blazing a political trail AND pinching a loaf together to make a marriage rock solid.

Kobe Bryant scored 81 points the other night against the poor Toronto Raptors. The second highest point total in NBA history. This continues to be lauded as an amazing athletic feat. I just can't bring myself to celebrate this as a great accomplishment. Perhaps if Kobe was playing in a one-on-one league scoring 81 points would be something. But basketball is a team game (or at least it once was) and, to me, 81 points seems to accentuate not Kobe's "greatness" but the fact that he's the most selfish player in the NBA today (and perhaps ever). I'd rather see someone get 81 assists- now THAT would be an accomplishment to be applauded. Give me Steve Nash and his 20 point, 18 assist games any night.

Episode 5 of 24 was last night. I wish they'd have this show on 5 nights a week. The first 50 minutes or so was fairly slow last night but the last 10 was awesome. The President's Chief of Staff, Walt Cummings, was ratted out by the Internal Affairs-planted mole, Spencer, as the man who brought in the hitman to kill Jack. Jack is now on a mission to bring down Cummings. I'm still waiting for Sean Astin to refer to Jack as "Mr. Frodo" or to start talking about his dream of playing for the Fighting Irish, but I do like his character. Jack & Audrey had their first meeting- sparks flew, emotions ran high. I for one would be glad to see them put to rest the Diane Huxley story line. Sure Jack has huge needs for "family" right now but Audrey's the one for Jack. Can't wait to see what happens next week when/if Jack gets his hands on Cummings.

Mario Lemieux is retiring today. As good as Lemieux was in his prime he will always be looked at with "what could have been" glasses. Could he have broken Gretzky's records if he had been healthy his whole career? I don't think so. I think he could have been in Messier totals as far as points are concerned but I don't think we'll see anyone surpass Gretzky's records. All the best to Mario in whatever he decides to do- will he join the Montreal Canadiens front office some day and bring Sid The Kid with him?

Finally, I read somewhere today that plans are in place for a big screen version of Magnum PI. I haven't seen Dukes of Hazzards- the screams of sheer terror from those who have seen it before me were enough to tell me to stay away . . . stay far far away- but I hope whoever does this film takes the time to do it right. Magnum is one of my all-time favorite shows and I would hate to see them do to it what Jessica Simpson and co. did to the Dukes.

I'm off to Vancouver on Thursday for Missionsfest Vancouver. Should be a great weekend to connect with Alumni and prospective students.

1 Comments:

Blogger chippersmum said...

Are you kidding me? I can't believe you want Jack to end up with Audrey! NO WAY! So you remember how she was last season - she was terrible to him. And the only reason she wants him back is because her husband is dead! If they get back together I will stop watching! But I do agree that it should be on 5 nights a week! I'm still holding out for Chloe to hook up with Edgar! Thats it! Talk to you later!
Laura

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home