Monday, January 02, 2006

Experiencing the Heart of Jesus

This Christmas my awesome sister-in-law, Shelley, bought me what is quickly becoming the best Christmas present I've received, perhaps ever.

She bought me Max Lucado's devotional book, "Experiencing the Heart of Jesus: Knowing His Heart, Feeling His Love".

I started working through this book over the past couple days and just finished working through day 3's readings.

Devotional books are made for someone like me. I know lots of people prefer to simply just open up their Bible and read whatever passage the Lord lays on their heart at that particular time.

For me, I've always been someone who liked to have a "helper" when studying. In English class it was good ol' Coles Notes to help me through Shakespeare. In College I always had a concordance with me.

I love Max Lucado's writings. Max would be one of the people that I would love to share a meal with sometime. My appreciation for his heart and his ability to help me gain a clearer picture of my place in God's plan has only grown since I started working through this devotional.

Tonight's reading focused on Jesus- God's gift to the world. It was a great reminder for me that when I fear for my future and, especially, the future of my kids, I need look no further than to the gift of the person of Jesus Christ to realize that God has a plan, and I need to keep the faith.

In the midst of wars and rapidly declining moral conscience we can take comfort in the fact that as out of control as this world may seem, there is still someone behind the wheel. As Max writes, "The engineer has not abandoned the train. Nuclear war is no threat to God. Yo-yo economies don't intimidate the heavens. Immoral leaders have never derailed the plan."

And on the next line, all by itself, Lucado writes:

"God keeps his promise."
"See for yourself. In the manger. He's there."
"See for yourself. In the tomb. He's gone."

And so I will fear not for my future or for my kids' futures. I will trust my pilot and focus on helping my kids to do the same.

I'm thankful that God has equipped people like Max Lucado to step out in faith and allow themselves to be used by God to challenge and encourage others all over the world. I know this devotional book will leave a lasting impression on my life- it already has in just 3 short days.

I'll continue to share thoughts on here as I work through this book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home