Monday, October 17, 2005

A healthy serving of major league crow . . .

Well, crow certainly has a funny taste.

This morning I wrote a blog about what I thought was a sure-to-happen World Series finale between the Chicago White Sox (a sure thing to appear) and the Houston Astros (whom I thought would end the incredibly emotionless NLCS tonight with a win at home). I wrote how a final match-up such as that one does nothing to make me feel any kind of excitement about the 2005 edition of the Fall Classic.

I think I also wrote about how painfully boring this year's playoffs have been with no underdog to cheer and no compelling moments to send you running to the water cooler the next morning.

Where oh where are the open legs of Bill Buckner? Where oh where is the gimpy homerun trot of Kirk Gibson? Where oh where is the leaping lunacy of Joe Carter? Playoff images that are forever etched in my mind.

Well, I missed tonight's game and from all accounts, it appears as though tonight was another one of those magical baseball moments that, if the story continues the way it ended tonight, could have people remembering this as another post-season to remember.

So, hours after I roast the NLCS, one Albert Pujols has to go and hit, from what I hear, an absolute MOON SHOT off the games (arguably) best closer, Brad Lidge, to put the Cardinals ahead with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, in a must-win situation.

And I shake my head . . . and I take another bite of crow. Man it's a good thing I don't do this for a living and that nobody actually reads my stuff because boy would I feel like an idiot right now.

So not only do Houston and St.Louis lock horns for one for the ages, but I miss it. I guess that's my just desserts for going Ebert (or was Siskel the overly critical one all the time?) on the two teams earlier today.

Anyways, I thought I should probably admit my mistake, publicly in writing, knowing now that I should listen to the good ol' adage that tells me that if I have nothing good to say, I shouldn't put it in writing where it can come back to bite me in the Fall Classic (minus the C-L-I-C, refer to my last post).

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Weeks said...

Sweet blogging ...

Maybe you could ask Albert Poo-holes where the open legs of Bill Buckner are at playoff time?

Or perhaps Monitone Mary could lead us in a rousing cheer that would bring back the playoff excitement of the good 'ol days ... GO WArRioRs go ... hmmm.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home