Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Catching up on old predictions

Back in September I took some time to do my best Amazing Kreskin impression and predict what the final standings might look like in the NHL. Having reached the half-way point in the season I thought it would be appropriate to take a look and see how my predictions are shaping up.

In the western conference, this is what I predicted in September compared to what the actual standings are as of today:
September Today
1. Detroit 1. Detroit
2. Calgary 2. Dallas
3. Dallas 3. Calgary
4. San Jose 4. Nashville
5. Vancouver 5. LA
6. Edmonton 6. Vancouver
7. Chicago 7. Colorado
8. Nashville 8. Edmonton
9. Colorado
10. LA

Not too bad even if I do say so myself. Chicago has disappointed me with Khabibulin looking to be the biggest free agent bust of the season. They have had injury problems with Tuomo Ruutu and just can't seem to get the boat headed in the right direction.

The play of Nashville and LA have been the biggest surprises to me in the Western Conference. The Preds have thrived in the new-look NHL and are getting great goaltending from Tomas Vokoun and amazing fan support from the people in the Country Music capital of the World.

Do I see the standings changing in the next couple months? Perhaps a little. I think Calgary will hit their stride in the home stretch. I still think this team is built for the playoffs and sooner or later Iginla is going to catch fire. I think Vancouver will make a trade to get a goalie and they will challenge Calgary for the 2nd or 3rd seed. If nothing else, Vancouver will get the 4 spot with Nashville dropping slightly to the 5 or 6 spot. I still think San Jose will make a run as well and challenge Edmonton, Colorado and LA for one of the final 3 spots. So my adjusted prediction for the western conference looks like this:
1. Detroit
2. Calgary
3. Dallas
4. Vancouver
5. Nashville
6. Colorado
7. San Jose
8. Edmonton

In the eastern conference:
September Today
1. Tampa Bay 1. Ottawa
2. Ottawa 2. Carolina
3. Philadelphia 3. Philadelphia
4. Boston 4. Buffalo
5. Montreal 5. New York Rangers
6. Toronto 6. Toronto
7. Pittsburgh 7. Atlanta
8. Buffalo 8. New Jersey

Lots of surprises in the East headline by the great play of the Hurricanes, Thrashers and Sabres (who I'm proud to say I predicted as a sleeper all along). I was bang on with where I thought Philli and Toronto would be and pretty close with Ottawa but other than that, I was way off.

Boston, Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh have all been big disappointments. I expect the Bruins and Penguins to further unload some players and try to retool. Boston really is starting over now that they've traded their franchise player in Joe Thornton. At least Pittsburgh has a foundation to build on with Crosby, Fleury and, coming next year, Evgeny Malkin.

Do I see the standings changing much over the next couple months? I think there will still be some shuffling as a couple underachievers will improve and perhaps a couple overachievers will come back down to earth a bit.

So my adjusted predictions for the east:
1. Ottawa
2. Philadelphia
3. Carolina
4. Buffalo
5. Toronto
6. Montreal
7. Rangers
8. New Jersey

I think Montreal will finish the second half the way they started the first and that will be enough to push them into the 6th spot while pushing the Thrashers out of the playoff picture for this year. I just don't see the Thrashers having the depth that's needed to make the playoffs this year. Rest assured though this team will be there next year. I don't see Carolina or Buffalo falling too far from where they're at now. Both those teams seem determined to prove they're for real.

There will be some great first round match-ups in both conferences highlighted by Buffalo/Toronto in the east and San Jose/Calgary in the west.

I'll stay away from playoff predictions for now because it would just make this too darn long.

All in all I think we're in for a great second half of what has been a remarkable rebirth of Canada's national pasttime. Hockey is back in a big way and I for one can't wait to see what the playoff battles bring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home