Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Catching up on old predication- baseball style

Back at the end of March I wrote a blog sharing my predictions for the 2006 MLB season. Man do I ever suck at this!

As the big leaguer's hit the dog days of summer I thought I should take a look back and see if any of my predictions are even close to coming true. Like I said, man do I ever suck at this.

With nearly 3/4's of the season played here's what I predicted in comparison to what the standings actually are today (August 2):

AL (predicted final standings)
East- Yankees, Jays, Red Sox, D-Rays, Orioles
Central- Indians, Twins, White Sox, Tigers, Royals
West- Rangers, A's, Angel's, Mariners

Actual standings on Aug.2
East- Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, D-Rays
Central- Tigers, White Sox, Twins, Indians, Royals
West- A's, Angel's, Rangers, Mariners

NL (predicted final standings)
East- Braves, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, Nationals
Central- Cardinals, Brewers, Astros, Pirates, Cubs, Reds
West- Padres, D'Backs, Dodgers, Giants, Rockies

Actual standings on Aug.2
East- Mets, Phillies, Marlins, Braves, Nationals
Central- Cardinals, Reds, Brewers, Astros, Cubs, Pirates
West- Padres, D'Backs, Dodgers, Rockies, Giants

My predictions for individual award winners were:
AL MVP- A-Rod
AL Cy Young- Halladay
AL ROY- Francisco Liriano
NL MVP- Pujols
NL CY Young- Tim Hudson
NL ROY- Stephen Drew

So, do I still think my predictions will come true come by the beginning of October? For the most part, no. My Indians have been a HUGE disappointment as they have been the most underachieving team in all of baseball this year. The Blue Jays have also been a huge disappointment as I see them falling further and further out of the race over the course of the next two months.

So, taking the current standings into consideration how would I change things for the stretch run? Here now are my updated predictions for the final two months of the season.

AL
East final standings- Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, D-Rays, Orioles
Central- Tigers, Twins, White Sox, Indians, Royals
West- Angels, A's, Rangers, Mariners

NL
East final standings- Mets, Marlins, Braves, Phillies, Nationals
Central- Cardinals, Reds, Brewers, Astros, Cubs, Pirates
West- Padres, D'Backs, Dodger, Rockies, Giants

AL Playoffs- Yankees over Angels, Red Sox over Tigers
ALDS- Yankees over Red Sox
NL Playoffs- Mets over Reds, Cardinals over Padres
NLDS- Mets over Cardinals
World Series- Mets over Yankees

AL MVP- David Ortiz
AL CY Young- Johan Santana
AL ROY- Jonathan Paplebon
NL MVP- Albert Pujols
NL CY Young- Carlos Zambrano
NL ROY- Josh Johnson/Scott Olsen/Hanley Ramirez/Dan Uggla

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home