Thursday, May 04, 2006

Good thing I don't do this for a living . . .

To quote Jim Carey's character, Lloyd Christmas, "I was way off."

If I was paid to give my predictions I think I'd have to return whatever money I was given. Yes indeedy, after the first round of the 2006 NHL playoffs I am certainly proving that I am no Amazing Kreskin (sp?). After some of my first round predictions I may not even be in the same league as Maggie the Monkey from TSN. Ouch.

I especially got worked in the Western Conference where all my picks, save for San Jose taking out the Predators, ended up being wrong. Not only did my beloved Red Wings lose to the surging Oil, but the Dallas Stars flopped badly in losing to, what I believe to be, a not very good Colorado Avalanche team and of course the Calgary Flames took a serious nose dive in losing in game 7 to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks (in what was by far the worst game 7 ever played in any pro sport).

To quote my good friend Donnie, "What the heck in the world?" The wild west was certainly just that as all four of the top seeds are now booking tee times at their local golf courses.

My predictions for the Eastern Conference were a little better, but only slightly. Ottawa exorcised some playoff demons by eliminating the defending champs in Tampa Bay. Buffalo sent the classless, and speedless (is that a word?) Philadelphia Flyers in six games. I got those two right. I was looking good in the Montreal/Carolina series after the first two games but I'll give full props to Carolina for turning things around in a hurry and winning the next four games to advance.

Of course, people in Moose Jaw (and Red Deer) are not the least bit surprised to see what Cam Ward is doing in his rookie season between the pipes for the 'Canes. Warrior fans watched Ward and Dion Phaneuf team up to do a two-man dance all over the hearts of what was then the best Warriors team ever in the 2004 season. To people who don't know better, Cam Ward is a cinderella story. To me, this is just a good goalie doing what all good goalies do.

So, do I try my luck at some second round predictions or do I smash the crystal ball and just sit back and enjoy the games? If you just yelled, "Press your luck" then you know me well.

Here's my round 2 predictions:
East- Ottawa over Buffalo (6 games); New Jersey over Carolina (7 games)
West- Edmonton over San Jose (7 games); Anaheim over Colorado (7 games)

Most importantly, in WHL action, our hometown Warriors open up the WHL Finals tomorrow night in Vancouver. The Tribes first ever appearance in the league championship series should be a beauty. Our great little city is truly fired up about our beloved Warriors. To say the bandwagon is overflowing would be like saying John Daly may have a bit of a gambling problem.
For those of you in other parts of the world you can listen in to the Warriors webcast (and listen to the voice of the Warriors, our good friend Randy Merkley) at www.discovermoosejaw.com.

Go Warriors Go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home