Thursday, August 04, 2005

Game 3 goes tonight!

My ball team plays game 3 tonight under the lights at beautiful Memorial Field in Moose Jaw. After the tense battle in game 2 I'm expecting another tight game and hopefully a good crowd will be there to enjoy it.

Since I've been hitting so terribly lately . . . correction, since I haven't been hitting at all lately, I expect that I will be patrolling the outfield in Centerfield again but that we'll be using a Designated Hitter to hit for me. As much as I'd like to be swinging the bat in there my confidence is shot right now and I know it's best for the team to having someone else swinging the bat in my place. It's a good lesson in humility for sure as I've never had this much trouble hitting a baseball before in my life. Maybe it's time to go back to slow pitch :-).

Shifting gears to hockey I have to say I've been pretty much captivated by the frenzy of free agent signings over the past 4 days. As a Red Wings fan it's difficult to see all these big names signing with none of them coming to Hockeytown. I would have loved to see Adam Foote and Scott Niedermyer on the back end with Nic Lidstrom but it just wasn't meant to be. Even though my team has not been able to make a blig splash this year and are probably going to experience some lean years in the immediate future, I'm still all for the new-look NHL.

How great was it to see Jarome Iginla ink a 3-year deal to stay in Calgary? How great was it to see the once mighty Oilers actually be buyers instead of sellers and be able to land big-time players in Chris Pronger & Michael Peca? When have the die-hard fans in Alberta had this much to be excited about (aside from the Flames Cup run two years ago)?

Aside from the coma that the Toronto Make Me Laughs appear to be in (hello McFly?), the Canadian teams are definitely wreaping the benefits of a level playing field.

Staying with hockey, my wife and I met with the Head Coach and the guy who looks after Billoting for the Moose Jaw Warriors last night. We're going to be billoting a Warrior player again this year so Steve Young & Bert Hunt were by to go over some things with us last night. It's a great opportunity for us to get involved with the organization and to provide a good home for a young guy trying to make his way in the crazy world of major junior hockey. We're hoping to have the same player back that we had for the last half of last season. It was a great experience for us and our player was a real blessing to have in our home. If that doesn't work out, then so be it. We look forward to the opportunities that God will give us through this. Hopefully the Warriors have a turn-around season as well. I know the coaching is definitely there.

Well, I'll try to report back in tomorrow with the results from tonight's game. Hopefully we'll really shock everyone and take a 2-1 series lead tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Weeks said...

Mike ... sweet blog ... very well written!

I thought maybe the Leafs and Red Wings were sharing a respirator, but it looks like Chris Chelios will need that respirator all to himself.

Good luck in your game.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home